Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist
Job type: Full-time
- Full Time Benefits Package
- Location Area: North East Philadelphia/Kensington
At COMHAR, it’s our mission to provide health and human services that empower individuals, families and communities to live healthier, self-determined lives. COMHAR's Open Door Clubhouse is an employment-based psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery program for adults based upon the acclaimed Fountain House Model. Beyond the Open Door Clubhouse, contacts are developed and maintained with other member clubhouses in the Pennsylvania Clubhouse Coalition, as well as the ICCD Clubhouse membership at large. Services provided to the membership are coordinated with other COMHAR, Inc. and/ or other Mental Health Agencies in Philadelphia; Clubhouse staffs are to facilitate these services in meeting the needs of the members while providing case management services.
We are now looking for Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist who will be responsible for providing case management services to assist Clubhouse members in the achievement of their goals in living, learning, working, and recreating in the community, while working to achieve their highest level of independence.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist:
• Administrates the employment services of the Open Door Clubhouse. This would include, but is not limited to, overseeing the contractual obligations of the clubhouse to the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.
• Participates in the Unit Meetings, in which clubhouse members discuss the various Work Ordered Day (WOD) tasks to be performed in the Employment Services Unit, and volunteer to perform those tasks according to their choice.
• Participates in the Work Ordered Day activities of the Employment Services Unit, working side by side with the members and supporting them in accomplishing the WOD tasks, while preparing them in Job Readiness.
• Conducts orientation of new members to the employment services offered by the clubhouse.
• Ensures that members have appropriate identification for employment and provides assistance to members in need of obtaining identification. Make provision for members to learn to use public transportation, as needed.
• Conducts group activities focused on such topics as: resume writing, job searching, hygiene and appropriate dress for job interviewing, practice job applications and interviewing techniques, socialization and assertiveness skills, problem solving skills, the impact of work earnings on member benefits (SSI, SSDI), as well as special topics as needed.
• Conducts interviews, assisted by members of the Employment Services Unit, with clubhouse members interested in working a Transitional Employment Placement.
• Reports on member employment and earnings to benefit providers (i.e. SSA).
• Facilitates monthly dinner meetings for members who are employed, or considering employment, for support, socialization, and an exchange of work-related information pertaining to member issues.
• Performs the role of Placement Manager for Transitional Employment Placements (TEP). This includes, but is not limited to, the following: providing case management services by job coaching and providing support to the member working the TEP; acting as liaison between the employer and the member; acting as liaison between the employer and the clubhouse; providing coverage for member absences from work; and completing all paperwork contractually required by OVR.
• Prepares outcome measures relevant to member employment, for purposes of reporting.
• Participates in one or more of the various clubhouse committees.
• Facilitates the Clubhouse Orientation sessions as assigned.
• Special assignments as designated by the Director.
Authority of the Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist:
The Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist is responsible for overseeing the activities of the Employment Services Unit, and the overall Employment program of the clubhouse. This would entail the following: providing case management services in order to conduct job readiness activities for the clubhouse members, overseeing the activities of the clubhouse Placement Managers and the Transitional Employment program, ensuring that the appropriate supports are in place for members working in Supported and Independent Employment positions, and to oversee and act as liaison on behalf of the clubhouse and its membership in reporting to all government agencies concerned with member employment (e.g. Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, Social Security Administration).
The Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist is also responsible for acting as a liaison between the clubhouse and providers of educational services serving the clubhouse membership.
Requirements of the Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist:
- A valid driver’s license
- 2 years of supported employment work experience
Education Requirements of the Mental Health Supported Employment Specialist:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or other relevant field; or
- An Associate’s Degree in Human Services with at least 2 years of experience in the mental health field
- USPRA certification: CPRP, or in process of obtaining certification
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace. COMHAR, Inc. is a not-for-profit community based health and human service organization founded in 1975. We do not discriminate in services or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, past or present receipt of disability-related services or supports, marital status, veteran status, or any other class of persons protected by federal, state or local law.