Independent Living Counselor
Job type: Full-time
At COMHAR, it’s our mission to provide health and human services that empower individuals, families, and communities to live healthier self-determined lives. COMHAR provides Supported Independent Living (SIL) services. COMHAR has three programs that provide support for individuals to live independently and maintain stability in their lives through counseling, medication management and building of life skills.
Location: North East Philadelphia/Kensington area
Tuesday-Saturday 10:00AM - 6:00PM
$ 17.25 - $17.50 (based on credentials, etc)
*COVID Vaccination Required*
COMHAR is now looking for a Full Time Independent Living Counselor who will be responsible for the supervision and required case management of SIL clients residing in congregate and/or scattered-site apartments. The SIL Client population includes individuals diagnosed with Serious Mental Illness, a History of Chronic Homelessness, and Substance Use Disorder. The Part Time Independent Living Counselor must be knowledgeable of current SIL guidelines and practices. The Part Time Independent Living Counselor is responsible for communication with Team Members, Supervisors, and other Support team members.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Part Time Independent Living Counselor :
- The Independent Living Counselor delivers quality and consistent individual and group activities, i.e., counseling sessions, skill teaching, house meetings, etc.
- The Independent Living Counselor provides assistance and support as needed with activities of daily living, e.g., medication management, social/leisure skills, budgeting, benefits/entitlements, health care, community participation, etc.
- The Independent Living Counselor assists individuals with mental health and substance abuse issues as applicable and help support individuals in addressing symptoms, e.g., learning coping skills, relapse prevention, developing support systems and resources, etc.
- Assist individuals in seeking educational and vocational resources, e.g., G.E.D. classes, college education, volunteer activities, employment supports, etc.
- Assist clients in establishing safety and security of their apartments including, e.g., valuables, medication storage, personal funds, and crisis management
- Maintain involvement in the development and review of treatment plans and progress reviews in collaboration with team members including outside case managers, therapists, and significant others
- Maintain required or requested timely and accurate documentation such as progress notes, treatment plans, progress reviews, contact sheets, shift logs, and other forms as they pertain to client record
- Ensure compliance to all internal and external regulations, policies, and procedures, e.g., confidentiality, client rights, call-out procedures, health and safety, driver training, HIPAA, compliance, etc.
- Promote continuity of program activity through the maintenance of proper channels of communication through a team approach to comprehensive services, i.e., supervision and staff meeting attendance as requested
- Participates in all mandatory trainings, e.g., confidentiality, fire safety, infection control, crisis prevention/intervention, suicide prevention, cultural awareness, disaster training, driver training, medication monitoring, safety and emergency procedures, trauma informed practices, Practice Guidelines, LGBTQ, Integrated Care, Family Inclusion, Heat Safety, Narcan, and other SIL/SHP procedures and practices
Requirement of the Part Time Independent Living Counselor Role :
- Associate's degree or equivalent in human services, plus 1 year mental health experience
- High school diploma/G.E.D. plus 3 years related mental health experience.
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- COVID Vaccination
***Effective October 15, 2021, all employees/contractors/interns/volunteers are required to provide our office with proof of COVID vaccination.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace. COMHAR, Inc. is a not-for-profit community based health and human service organization founded in 1975. We do not discriminate in services or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, past or present receipt of disability-related services or supports, marital status, veteran status, or any other class of persons protected by federal, state or local law.