Certified Peer Specialist
Job type: Part-time
***Effective October 15, 2021, all employees/contractors/interns/volunteers are required to provide our office with proof of COVID vaccination. ***
Do you want to make a positive impact in the life of others while working in a fun and active environment?
Certified Peer Specialist Position Summary
COMHAR’s Long Term Structured Residences (LTSR) are located in Philadelphia and Northampton Counties. These therapeutic programs are designed to provide 24/7 residential and intensive treatment supports for adults with a variety of psychiatric and health related needs. Individuals requiring this level of care have access to a variety of services including individual and group therapies, psychiatric evaluation, crisis intervention, peer support, psychiatric rehabilitation and medication management. The multidisciplinary treatment team is comprised of staff that includes a psychiatrist, mental health professionals, licensed nurses, peer specialists, and direct care staff. Services are delivered both on-site and in natural community settings to maximize learning opportunities. Our focus is to assist individuals in developing skills, increasing their independence and stabilizing their psychiatric and physical health symptoms with the goal of moving into lesser structured settings.
The Certified Peer Specialist works from a recovery framework within the team providing individual supportive counseling and psychoeducational groups using therapeutic interventions (evidenced based practices preferred), cultural competence and trauma informed care to help individuals obtain their recovery goals. The Certified Peer Specialist provides a wide range of tasks to assist consumers in regaining control over their own recovery process. This includes but is not limited to the development of natural supports, development of social interactions in the community and management of symptoms that challenge wellness in an individual.
We are currently seeking a Part Time Certified Peer Specialist at our Long Term Structured Residence (LTSR), located in Walnutport, PA.
Certified Peer Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and implementation of educational and support groups, program activities, and other programming aspects as needed.
- Provides training and assistance to individuals in developing and practicing the skills identified and outlined in their recovery plans. Teaches the proactive use of positive coping strategies.
- Provides training and assistance in activities of daily living and related self-care skills. Areas include bathing, toileting, personal hygiene, grooming, dressing, care of clothing, and shaving.
- Provides training and assistance in social skill building, vocational training and employment, community inclusion, and health and wellness. Areas of focus include leisure planning, transportation, meal preparation, housekeeping, shopping, scheduling appointments, fiscal management, etc.
- Assists residents in developing WRAP plans and exploring coping mechanisms to promote wellness.
- Participates in treatment team meetings as assigned. Assists individuals in working towards the completion of their recovery goals as written on their treatment plan.
- Co-facilitates meetings to nurture a peer supported culture via community meetings and other peer run initiatives.
- Accompanies individuals in recovery into the community to medical appointments, family visits, and other appointments.
- Completes detailed documentation for individuals in their clinical record and in other areas as directed. Documentation should be timely, legible, and provide an accurate depiction of progress, challenges, medical status, etc. in a strength-based manner. Satisfies compliance with regulations regarding record keeping and reporting.
- Assists with meal preparation and clean up as needed. Follow individual dietary restrictions/special diets during mealtimes as prescribed.
- Completes resident “rounds” as assigned to ensure that all individuals in recovery are safe and in their expected locations.
- Assists with the general upkeep of the facility and participates in light cleaning and household chores.
- Timely reporting of all crises and unusual incidents to Shift Supervisor, Nurse Manager and/or LTSR Program Director (Immediately if indicated; otherwise within 24 hours).
- Participates in Quality Improvement Program as assigned.
- Attends all meetings and training sessions as assigned.
- Maintains compliance with all COMHAR policies and procedures with no unauthorized exception.
Part Time Employees are eligible for generous benefit options including but not limited to:
- Basic Life Insurance
- 403B Retirement Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off (Holiday, sick, PTO)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Additional supplemental voluntary insurance options including Disability, Life, and Pet Insurance
Certified Peer Specialist Requirements:
- High School Diploma or the equivalent of a high school diploma required and six (6) months of related experience in mental health services.
- Valid PA State Criminal, FBI (based on residency outside of PA), Child Abuse clearances.
- CPR w/AED & First Aid certification.
- Valid driver’s license required. (Must be able to move about COMHAR service areas throughout the day to provide appropriate oversight and coordination and meet job duties as needed and required.)
- Physical examination including Hep B screening & TB test.
- Certified Peer Specialist Certification.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace. COMHAR, Inc. is a not-for-profit community based health and human service organization founded in 1975. We do not discriminate in services or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, past or present receipt of disability-related services or supports, marital status, veteran status, or any other class of persons protected by federal, state or local law.